Michael D Higgins has served as Ireland’s ninth President since November 2011. Coming from humble roots, he rose from being “poor white trash” to a university professor, poet and is now President of Ireland.
In this week’s episode of the Clover English podcast you’ll learn:
- How Higgins went from being a poor Limerick boy to President of Ireland
- His attitude towards the refugee crisis and global citizenship
- His attitude towards the climate crisis
- Why he called someone a “w**ker” over national radio!
Make sure to download the PDF guide which comes complete with:
- Full transcript of the show
- Vocabulary Explanations
- An extra article: President V Taoiseach (which explains the main differences between the Irish President and the Taoiseach – who is the leader of the Irish parliament)
- Grammar Guide: Stative Verbs
It’s really recommendable that you download this guide, especially as I have included some audio clips from Higgins and it will be much easier for you to follow what he says if you have the guide.
If you enjoy the Clover English podcast please consider giving it a five star rating on your preferred podcast streaming service and recommending it to your friends! This really helps me out and I appreciate it a lot.
Sources used in this episode:
Higgins Christmas Speech https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuxnczLZUQE
Higgins v Michael Graham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5OWRRJh-PI